Small Business Weekly Tech Talk – Week 2
Thanks to all who joined. We discussed various topics around technology. Here are the tools that we learned about.
Non-profit help: catchafire.org
Volunteers help organizations with their expertise— thanks Anil!
Non-profit help: philanthropitch.org
Grow non-profit through funding — thanks Casey!
Keyword research: answerthepublic.com
Great keyword searching and understanding tool— thanks Anil!
Discussion: How to Sustain Business Growth
Anil Karakkattu, a business management consulting firm (bha-consulting.com). He refines strategy and processes, in business sustainability and growth. He focuses on IT, manufacturing, non-profit sectors, among various others. This is a summary of Anil’s talk:
Starting a business is exciting. Next biggest challenge is about growing the business. Then it’s how to sustain over the long term. Lots of businesses don’t survive after 5 years, or especially after 10 years. Only 40% make profit. Top reasons for failing: cash flow, lack of funding/marketing, etc. Acquiring new clients and employees can also be challenge. It’s hard for companies to be competitive with so many similar services.
Anil helps businesses by focusing on three areas:
- Where do you want to lead your organization long term?
- What is your vision/mission of your company?
- Lots of different tools (SWOT analysis)
- What’s the current situation of your business?
- Based on SWOT, you set a goals and objectives
- Create an action plan
- Look at competitors to see what they’re doing; they’re established business. It’ll give you a sense how to position your business.
- Streamline operations
- Performance management
- Structure of organization
- People, development, processes
- Design, plan, control operations
- How do I reduce the cost of my operations?
- Set operations goals aligning with vision/mission of company?
- Use framework to reduce caos
- Can we standardize a process?
- Can it be redesigned?
- What about reengineering?
- Six Sigma, Lean Manufacturing, Kanban
Thanks so much to Anil Karakkattu for sharing his expertise with the group! Please visit www.bha-consulting.com to learn more and get in touch, if you’re interested in working with BHA consulting.